Seasonal Styles: Winter 2023


    It's that time of year where days and nights are cold and moments are nostalgic. So I've picked out some songs and albums to match the season! This article will be about songs that aren't necessarily Christmas songs. Just songs about winter or possess a winter vibe. Let's get through winter in style!

Songs:

1. Janet Jackson - "Escapade"



    The beginning of this song sounds so wintery, right? I also started listening to this song one winter, so I may be a little biased. 

2. Jennifer Lopez - "All I Have"



    I used to love this song so much back in the day, and I was reminded of it a couple of weeks ago after I saw some people talking about it online. It's definitely wintery!

3. Justin Bieber - "Love Yourself"



    Imagine my shock when I found out Ed Sheeran wrote this song, and then imagine how stupid I thought I was for not realizing that sooner. You can hear Sheeran all over the backing vocals. This song fits Bieber so well though. It's hard to ever imagine it being sang by Sheeran. 



1. Otsuka Ai - "Daisuki da yo"



    Japan used to love winter ballads, and Otsuka is a champ at creating them. She pretty much brought us one every year like she was Santa Claus. 

2. Aqua Timez - "VELONICA" 



    Winter can have a certain darkness to it. Perhaps because it gets darker earlier, but this song just fits that vibe. Plus it's badass.

3. Nogizaka46 - "Itsuka Dekiru Kara Kyou Dekiru"



    I listened to this all winter long back in 2017. That opening is just too snowy feeling. Nogi's beautiful outfits in both the single covers and music video help too!




Albums:

1. Taylor Swift - evermore


    Anyone reading the blog and the Deep Dives probably saw this one coming a million miles away. But yes. Try this one out during winter because tracks like "gold rush" and "'tis the damn season" will put you in that winter mood. 

2. Ariana Grande - thank u, next


    This album was such a smash you probably don't even need me to recommend it to you. I loved the title track when it was released but was ambivalent about "7 rings." I gave this album a listen earlier this year and changed my mind about it completely. It's really great pop music by a pop music heavy weight!


3. Sufjan Stevens - Illinois


    The first time I heard "Come On! Feel the Illinoise" I was so damn dumbfounded that I was mad I lived so long of my life without knowing Stevens because the man is a genius among geniuses. Anything he touches turns to gold, and this album has enough of a classic feel with all its instrumentation that it feels like a winter album. P.S. I was also mad that I didn't think of the "Illinoise" pun myself. 


1. Ayumi Hamasaki - A Song for xx


    I guess this is more shameless promotion for not only me and this Normal Dude blog, but also for the Empress of Pop herself, Hamasaki Ayumi. Hamasaki released this debut in January, and it sounds like a winter album all the way through. But! You can read more about that on this album's Deep Dive! Also, look forward to Hamasaki's entire catalogue being cover after the Utada Hikaru Deep Dive series!

2. Yamashita Tatsuro - For You


    A city pop classic from the king. You can't go wrong. 


3. dream - Dear...

    
    "My Will" alone is that winter song. Those of you familiar with the InuYasha anime series will know this one. I actually like several other offerings from this iteration of dream. They had some good songs with some icy vocal work. 



I hope everyone has a fantastic winter! Be sure to listen to lots of music!!







Comments

Popular Posts