Ear Candy: Megan Moroney's Am I Okay?


    Megan Moroney got on my radar after her Lucky album dropped, and I caught the "I'm Not Pretty" video after watching Reba on CMT one night. (Please check that song and video out, by the way. It's so. Much. Fun!) So when her latest effort, Am I Okay, released I ran to check it out! I'm not disappointed by it at all! 
    Moroney has this... Attitude? I guess you'd call it? Her personality is all over her records. And it's sassy, upbeat, and witty. It comes out through her lyrics like a cheeky punch. Her voice is smoky and her accent gives her songs a whisky flavor. I mean that in the way that you add brandy to a fruit sauce to give a depth when you cook. It just takes her sound over the top. 
    The first song, the title track, is a great example of what she does best. Unlike the upbeat-ness of Lucky, there's a somber feel throughout the album. Her emotions are drained. She's relaxed because she has to be. She's tired. There's a self-reflection through the lyrics that's relatable, and it doesn't feel like a celebrity. Moroney has that real-human connection with her audience. 
    Moroney is going to go far in Nashville. I just know it.



Rank: B Rank
Recommendation: when you've got the feels, and you're southern.
Standouts:
    Am I Okay?
    Indifferent
    Mama I Lied



Comments

Popular Posts