Holiday Highlights: Fourth of July 2024


    Happy July 4th, everybody! I hope you all have the day off, and I hope the day is filled with fireworks, good food, and people who love you. I love the feelings and nostalgia around the 4th, but it also makes you think about how far America has developed as a country and the sacrifices many people have made both good and bad. Let's take a look at some songs and albums chosen by me for the holiday:


Songs:

1. Martina McBride - "Independence Day"


    I've always found the story this song tells to be very intriguing, but it also just feels like a song of jubilation and freedom. Martina kicks butt too. So there's that. It's perfect for Independence Day!

2. Whitney Houston - "The Star Spangled Banner"


    Whitney's version is just so perfect and her performance encapsulates all the values of America. Simply stunning and awe inducing. 


3. Miley Cyrus - "Party In the USA"


    Since this is a celebration, you need an anthem for it! I randomly remembered this song the other day, and it took me right back to 2009. I've always found it hilarious that this song was a hit considering it was released from an EP that had a heavy tie-in with Walmart. But! You don't really get any more American than that. 

Albums:

1. The Beach Boys - Surfin' USA


    I don't think you could find a more American album if you tried. Unless it was like Bruce Springsteen or something. The title track alone of this album screams AMERICA.

2. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

    
Tom Petty himself is about as American as it gets. He even voiced Lucky on King of the Hill which is like... The most American show you can get. Plus this album features "American Girl."


3. ORANGE RANGE - 1st Contact

    
    I wanted to do a bit of an unconventional pick for the last album on this list. ORANGE RANGE as a band has always leaned heavily into American rock, but even on "Viva★Rock" where the backing vocalists spell out "A M E R I C A N" you can feel that influence all throughout the record. It's just cool to know that your country has had such a mega influence on other parts of the world that even their music pays homage to the culture. It's very humbling. 



So these are my picks for the holiday. I hope you all have an amazing time filled with music. Thanks for reading!







Comments

Popular Posts