Ear Candy: Shaboozey's Where I've Been, Isn't Where I'm Going


    I mentioned when I reviewed "A Bar Song (Tipsy)" that I'd write about this album right as soon as I listened to it. Well, here we are. I listened to this album in full the day after that review. And I'm actually surprised. I was just about expecting it to be a country-party album because "A Bar Song" is so. Much. Fun. Instead, you're met with a lot of layers here on Shaboozey's Where I've Been, Isn't Where I'm Going. Layers of sound, layers of genre, and layers of the human condition. And there's fun here too.
    Opening track "Horses & Hellcats" provides a lot of introspection from Shaboozey over a country and hip-hop beat. Seriously, there's so much going on in both the foreground and background. It's just a great opening song. Shaboozey pretty much announces he's serious here about life, his craft, and his art. It's so great, guys.
    Of course "A Bar Song (Tipsy)" is really freaking great. It gets better with each listen. The production is still immaculate and to die for. 
    Shaboozey may be a singer that has reached stardom here recently, but every track on this album screams he's still in touch with his roots and he always will be. He shouts out to his mother often. He's a real man that's lived real life. And that's perhaps the album's greatest influence and weapon. As it's so relatable even though the songs are produced as if God Himself touched them. 
    The collaborations are amazing. Paul Cauthen's verse is chilling. Especially the start of it. You're like "oh dang, yep. That is great." "Last Of My Kind" has that cool ruggedness about it that you just have to witness for yourself. 
    Noah Cyrus sounds absolutely breath-takingly gorgeous on "My Fault." She compliments Shaboozey so well. It's a nice little number.
    "Anabelle" is fun and groovy. It hits hard. That opening gave me cold chills. The instrumentation is top knotch.
    So what do we think about Where I've Been... overall? It engages you and stays engaging. I actually listened to the album twice in one go because I enjoyed it so much. At 12 tracks, with all 12 clocking in around 3 minutes, it throws a lot of punches in a short amount of time. So you don't get too comfortable or bored before you're intrigued by something new. And with its length, you have no reason to not check the album out. You'll be able to sink your teeth into several tracks in one go.



Rank: A Rank
Recommendation: when you're driving west through the Rocky's.
Standouts:
    "Horses & Hellcats"
    "A Bar Song (Tipsy)"
    "Anabelle"
    "My Fault"
    "Let It Burn"


Comments

Popular Posts